Planning to move or open an office in the Northern Emirates? Once you have completed the construction of the property, you need to connect water and electricity. The Federal Electricity and Water Administration (FEWA) is responsible for the distribution of electricity and water in the northern emirates (such as Ajman and Ras Al Khaimah). Today MyBayut provides a handy guide to FEWA and its services. Find out how to activate your connection, pay bills and deactivate your connection to FEWA.
About the Federal Office of Energy and Water Supply
FEWA was founded in 1999 to meet the needs of the citizens and residents of the Northern Emirate of the UAE for electricity and water.
The agency’s mission is to balance production and distribution costs, study consumer behavior, and raise awareness of the waste of electricity and water.
FEWA services are available to residents of the following regions:
- Ras Al Khaimah
- Umm Kaiwan
FEWA Services List
- Apply for a new connection to water and electricity
- Application for a customs clearance certificate
- View monthly invoice
- Pay monthly bills
- Notify of any emergencies or incidents related to the connection of electricity and water
- Check wiring
- Counter test
- Replace counter
How to apply for a FEWA Connection
If you are planning to relocate to a rental apartment in Ras Al Khaimah or any property in the Northern Emirates, one of the first tasks you will need to deal with is activating electricity and water services. Fortunately, the process of establishing a new FEWA connection is simple and cost-effective. If you have ever wondered how to activate FEWA online, follow these steps:
- Register your account on the official FEWA website
- On the Services tab, select a customer in the Electronic Services section.
- Choose to activate a new customer service
- Complete the online application and attach the required documents.
Your application will be approved within 24 hours, and water and electricity will be connected within the next 24 hours.
After your application is approved, you have six days to make an online deposit. For those who want to know “what is a FEWA deposit”, the amount will be 1500 dirhams or 2000 dirhams.
However, when submitting an online application, there is no service activation fee. The service is completely free.
Files required to connect to FEWA
To connect electricity and water, you will need the following documents:
- Copy of UAE ID (front and back)
- Municipality-approved lease agreement (for tenants)
- Title deed or title deed (owner)
- Please download all documents in PDF format when submitting your application.
How to pay your FEWA invoice online
There are several ways to view and pay your FEWA invoice, including the following:
- FEWA website
- FEWA App
- Customer Service Center
- communication center
- Emirates Post
App and Website
Looking for “How to View My FEWA Account Online”? To pay your bill through the website, follow these steps:
- Visit the FEWA Official Website
- On the Services tab, select View and Pay Bills.
- Enter your account number, mobile phone number and email address
- You can then view your bill online and then pay by credit card and through the website.
Another way to check and pay FEWA bills is with the app. You can pay your bill through the app by following these steps:
- Download the FEWA App
- On the main page, select “View and pay bills”.
- Enter your account number
- Your invoice will be displayed, which you can then pay through the app. There are two ways to pay FEWA invoices online.
Another option for paying FEWA invoices is through the online banking of certain banks, including:
- Emirates NBD
- First Bank of Abu Dhabi
- Emirates Islamic Bank
- Islamic Bank of Dubai
- Commercial Bank of Dubai
- Commercial Bank of Abu Dhabi
- Islamic Bank of Abu Dhabi
- National Bank of Fujairah
- Ajman Bank
- Islamic Bank of Sharjah
- Ras Al Khaimah Bank (RAK)
- United Arab Bank
You can also pay for electricity and water through the Al Ansari Exchange, Al Fardan Exchange and the UAE Exchange.
They also email customers monthly electricity and water bills to provide “green bills” to reduce paper consumption. When paying for FEWA invoices with a credit card, please keep in mind the following points:
- The maximum amount you can pay by credit card is AED 20,000.
- A maximum of five credit card transactions per day are allowed.
Disconnecting the FEWA Connection
When you move from your apartment to rent in Ajman, would you like to know more about the FEWA shutdown process? Take a look at the following steps:
- Visit the official FEWA portal
- After authorization on the “Services” tab, select a client in the “Electronic Services” section.
- Select a certificate of customs clearance (exit)
- Application for a customs clearance certificate
After you apply for a customs clearance certificate, your water and electricity connections will be disconnected after 24 hours. After the outstanding amount has been repaid, the certificate will be issued within three days.
The deposit paid when applying for the connection will be returned to your bank account. Alternatively, customers can receive a refund of their FEWA deposit in cash at the Al Ansari Exchange.
The deactivation process for FEWA is completely free via the online website.
However, the disconnection process can also be completed at the Customer Service Center. In this case, customers need to have a UAE ID with them and charge a service fee of AED 50.
This concludes our recommendations from the Federal Electricity and Water Administration. Or, if you are planning to relocate to Dubai, you can check out our in-depth DEWA guide to the Dubai Water and Electricity Authority.
Sharjah also has its own government agency, SEWA, which provides residents with electricity, water and natural gas